Ever get those late night cravings but have a hard time falling asleep afterwards? Try one of these 8 foods instead:
- Almonds are a magnesium rich food that increases the quality of sleep and act as a muscle relaxer.
- Lettuce contains lactucarium, which has sedative properties.
- Tuna is high in B6, which the body uses to make melatonin and serotonin. It also aids in regulating the body clock.
- White Rice
- White rice is high on the glycemic index, quickly raising blood pressure, making it easier to fall asleep.
- Honey is a natural sugar that slightly raises insulin, allowing tryptophan, an amino acid that is a precursor to melatonin, to enter the brain.
- Chickpeas are rich in tryptophan as well as folate and B6. Folate helps regulate sleep patterns, while B6 regulates the body clock.
- Cheese is high in fat so use sparingly. However, cheese also contains calcium that helps the brain use the tryptophan found in dairy to produce melatonin.
- Bananas are perhaps the most nutrient dense before bed snack. They contain tryptophan, magnesium, and potassium.
Bon appétit & sleep tight!