Sleeping with animals has been an age old debate. These furry friends provide comfort and warmth, while on the other hand they sometimes carry bacteria and can keep you awake at night. So rather than put this debate to rest, why don’t we look at both sides.
First, to counterbalance the idea that sleeping with pets is bad, in one study, 41% of participants reported sleeping better when their pet was in bed with them. This alone debunks the myth that pets can ruin a good night’s sleep. Then again, this is all dependent on the animal. Some are small and don’t take up much room and are just happy to be in your presence, while others toss and turn and are considered bed hogs.
One quick fix to the concern of pets carrying diseases is to include regular wellness exams, parasite control, vaccinations, and dental care. If you treat your pet like a child, then include the proper hygiene and care.
Unless you have bad allergies or asthma, there is no reason that your pet can’t sleep in bed with you. Even in this case, invest in a dehumidifier or inhaler, and consider keeping your furry friend out of the bedroom.
Overall, pets are very good bed companions for a number of reasons.
- Animals are comforting and a member of the family.
They fight insomnia
- Animals promote calm, stress relief, and a feeling of safety
Snuggling relieves stress and anxiety
- Therapy dogs are proof that snuggles are great stress relievers, and can even lower heart rate.
They provide warmth
- In the winter, who doesn’t love a personal heater?
They make you feel safe
- Pets are like little guard animals that watch over the home. Sometimes having that extra set of eyes is just comforting.
It’s good for your pet, too
- They receive comfort from you the same way you receive comfort from them!